I suppose it had to happen sooner or later but it’s such a shame that it happened now when we were doing so well and we were so close to the finish line… While I was writing my dispatch last night the “evil demon” (the wind) seemed to be getting stronger and stronger, I got concerned when our guide came round our tents while we were in them to make sure we strapped down properly so we didn’t blow away. I woke up at 3 am and it was still howling, knowing full well that we could not move if it persisted. Sure enough by 8:00 this morning we were told that it was blowing too hard and we had to wait for it to abate before we could start moving again which was a huge disappointment, really so unbelievably frustrating, imagine I was expecting to wake up this morning and say, we’ll be at the pole tomorrow night and out of here finally. Even if we can’t get off Antarctica early, just getting back to Union Glacier would be a huge relief, it’s like Club Med over there compared to here, at only -15 degrees C I’m fully planning on sunbathing in my shorts when I get there. I’m even going to try to bribe one of the staff to give me their weekly shower quota. I suppose there could be a positive side to this though, giving my blisters a rest would be one, I have four blisters and one I named Antarctica because of its size, it’s about 5 cm long by 2.5 cm wide and blown with fluid to just over a centimeter above the surface, really quite impressive. The good doctor Jeff did a small procedure on it yesterday and it held up quite well through out the day but I was secretly worried not knowing if I could do another two 20km days back to back on it.
It’s 2:15 pm at the moment and it’s still blowing bananas outside, but Baba made the call that if it stops blowing by midnight we set off (remember the sun never sets here it doesn’t even get darker). Currently the weather conditions are as follows, temperature – 31 degrees C, wind between 16 to 20 knots, temperature with wind chill -49 degrees C, basically cold beyond my capable description. As it stands this will set us back one day, the forecast says that it should let up by 8 am tomorrow morning, let’s pray it does.